- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 year or more of work related experience in a mechanic or technician related position
- Certificate acquired through a vocational or technical school
- 3 years or more of work related experience as a heavy equipment mechanic preferably with a rental company or Caterpillar and/or in a position with a working knowledge of hydraulics, powertrain, electronic/electrical systems etc.
- Must have required shop hand tools
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, non-verbal, listening and presentation skills.
- Able to articulate specific equipment problems in details to management, peers and/or customers
- Strong customer service skills with basic prospecting skills and the ability to meet and/or exceed customer expectations.
- A strong knowledge of the product and a good knowledge of the product market with a strong respect for the Caterpillar/vendor influence
- The ability to uphold professionalism with both internal and external customers, including personal appearance and friendly, courteous treatment of peers, subordinates and customers
- Excellent mechanical aptitude
- Excellent problem solving, diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with the ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures and guidelines and basic understanding of warranty administration.
- Moderate computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office. Moderate experience using data base systems
- A working knowledge of safety rules, laws and regulations concerning engine service, hydraulics, electrical, technical functions of various components and tooling procedures and capabilities
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with little or no supervision and achieve required goals and objectives
- May be required to obtain a CDL
- The ability to work overtime and weekends
- Physical Requirements of Position:
- Occasional confined sitting (at computer, in car, etc.)
- Regular non-confined sitting (able to move about at will.)
- Frequent standing or walking
- Frequent rapid use of arms, hands or fingers, in handling or manipulating objects, or operating equipment, tools and/or instruments requiring fine eye-hand coordination
- Regular repeated bending, crouching, stretching, or crawling
- Regular unaided lifting of objects up to 20 pounds; Occasional unaided lifting of objects up to 50 pounds
- Occasional climbing on ladders, equipment, and etc.
- Frequent use of near vision acuity. Must be able to identify and distinguish colors and able to use peripheral vison.
Work Environment of Position
Position will work in an engine service shop environment:
Frequent exposure to:
- Loud noise level (need to shout in order to be heard)
- Air particles (Dust, gas, fumes, steam, chemicals, and etc.)
- Outside weather conditions
- Walking or standing on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds)
- Moving mechanical parts machinery (fork-lifts, tractors, mowers)
- Wearing protective equipment (respirator, mask, earplugs, gloves, eyewear, etc.)
- Working in extreme heat and cold
- Working at heights (such as scaffolding, ladders, and/or high places)